Over the last 2 month 3 of my friends had a newborn baby and before we went off to visit them and get lovely newborn cuddles in return I got my Baby Present Box out to create my ultimate Mum&Dad&Baby Basket to bring along as a little “Welcome to the World” gift.
I love giving presents who (mostly don’t involve clothes and cuddly soft toys) are practical and forward thinking i.e. can be used from 6 month plus too.
So here is a is a gift basket for my fellow friend Kerstin who recently welcomed her firstborn son Myles into the world.
I like to personalise the basket as much as i can so obviously with her coming from my home country i sneaked in a few German favourite baby products of mine which she wont get here on the island.
- Snoozeshade – She is a keen Jogger and having bought a lovely Mountain Buggy to take Myles with her I thought the Snoozeshade will come in very handy if he wants to have a nap on Mummy´s workout through the park.
- Bibetta Bib – a big favourite in our household this is the ONLY brand of bibs you need when you start weaning, quick and easy to wash and dry i thrown out all of my cotton bibs who got so easily stained!
- I love all kind of phrases on baby clothes and thought this little t-shirt would be a funny present for a baby (it´s 3-6 month so she has something for the near future)
- Don’t forget the new Dad! Kerstin´s hubby got a bottle of Guinness he can enjoy when Myles is in bed after all he is irish ;o)
- Mummy felt a bit under the weather and due to her breastfeeding i picked up a bottle of Buttercup Cough Sirup for her
- Chillipeeps Multi Purpose Teat – She will travel to Germany quite a bit with little Myles so this Teat which can be screwed onto formula/juice carton or water bottle will come in handy on the plane when Myles gets a bit older.
- A little bit of German in a package one of my childhood favourite sweets “Milchschnitte” (kinder milch slice) i thought it would be a little cheer me up for her being ill. I only discovered them last week in my local Costcutter´s seems like fererro are finally brought them to the UK!!
- Some German baby lotions and shampoo bottles from the organic range from “Hipp”
- NUK 2 Piece Cool Teething Ring – another important German product and a lifesaver we had for Finn when he started teething with 1 cooling ring (best to be kept in the fridge) and 1 massage ring for the baby to hold on to.
- Baby Hat – you can never have to many hats (another passion of mine i assume) so this is a cute little newborn number from GAP.
- Most practical present EVER! a simple box (can be anything from wicker, wood, hard carton to those SCUBB boxes where you can put your socks inside in your wardrobe) which can be used to store some baby wipes, nappies, creams or bathroom essentials for the baby in one room.
Other practical little things to add into the gift box could be: wipes, nappies, bath bombs/little cream samples for the new mum to relax after a long day, a little book for the big brother/big sister that they don’t feel left out, simple cheap bath thermometer which i think works better then all those high gadget expensive bath thermometer flowers, ducks,…on the market, dummies or bottles if you know what they use, muslin’s (you can never have enough of those),…
And here are some other easy but pretty baby gift ideas i created over the years:
My first ever “Nappy Cake” was for my Nanny Friend for the arrival of her Son which included Nappies, little sample bottles of creams, lotions and liquid washing powder, dummies, me to you bear and matching booties as well as a NUK Thermometer.
A few years later another of my Nanny friends welcomed a little girl so i created a very pink and girly Nappy Cake which layers didn’t only have nappies they also included Body vests and Sleep suits as well as 1 cuddly toy (although i rather not give them they always make a nice “topper”, mitts and booties and a little baby hat:
I recently spotted this little cute idea on Pintrest (not my creation):
A wicker basket full with nappies “dressed with socks and rolled up sock “hats” and stick on or drawn eyes. This is such a simple and easy to make present which doesn’t cost the earth but certainly will bring a smile to any new mummy or daddy.
So tell me what do you like to buy your friends with newborn Babies? And what was the best present YOU received when having your baby?